Since 1939, the Elm Grove Woman’s Club has been a vital resource for ours and surrounding communities. Over 170 strong, we are mothers, daughters, grandmothers, sisters, wives, career women, retirees, and friends all supporting the common goals of our club. We are a group of caring, helpful, motivated and enthusiastic ladies and we would be happy to have you consider joining us.
The mission of the Elm Grove Woman’s Club is to unite the women of our communities in the study of social, literary, economic and other vital problems, to engage in benevolent, educational, literary, civic and charitable enterprises and pursuits, and to afford an organized social center for united study, thought and action and to cooperate with other organizations for the progress and welfare of the community.
The Elm Grove Woman’s Club continues the tradition of supporting important causes by making monetary gifts, providing volunteers and collecting and donating needed monies and goods. In the early days of the club, it was making bean bags for sick children at Children’s Hospital. During World War II it was bandage rolling, and today it includes providing funds for the Army Emergency Relief (AER).
In addition to the generous support our members provide at each monthly meeting by donating items and money to local nonprofits such as The Hope Center, Repairers of the Breach and Waukesha Literacy Council, we currently provide volunteers to three agencies:
We continue to look for other volunteer opportunities and welcome suggestions.
The Food Pantry of Waukesha County
At the Food Pantry of Waukesha County, our goal is to provide at least 3 members who would volunteer twice a month on Thursdays from 12:45 pm to 3:15 pm assisting clients in their food choices.
Kathy's House Milwaukee
Kathy's House is a non-profit Hospital Guest House that provides lodging and a supportive environment to families who are experiencing personal illness or the serious illness of a loved one.
Prevent Blindness Wisconsin
In the Elmbrook area, members screen preschool children at local daycare centers and nursery schools for potential sight problems in Fall and Spring under the auspices of Prevent Blindness Wisconsin.
In 1939, a group of 90 young women began sharing their cultural, social, civic and philanthropic ideas, along with a strong desire to serve the needy, support our community and foster new friendships. What began as a Mother’s Club at Leland School soon became the Elm Grove Woman’s Club.
In the beginning, monthly meetings were held in local schools, and even local taverns! Their major activity was making beanbags for sick children at the Children’s Hospital and during World War II, bandage rolling and other civilian wartime efforts filled their time. Our chorus helped to create a lighter mood, and in 1943, the first “Village of Elm Grove Directory” was printed and distributed to the community as a public service.
By 1954, membership had grown and a larger meeting place was needed. A dream was finally realized when a twelve-year-old colonial Lutheran Church on Plank Road was for sale. Fundraising activities were created to raise money for the purchase, such as dances, luncheons, style shows, and rummage sales - things that we continue to do today.
The clubhouse was offered for rent to private parties, and the proceeds from our fundraising helped fund the ballroom addition, which debuted in 1959. The fixture was paid in full that evening, and since then, this Holiday Gala has become the fundraising social event of the year.
Since the beginning, the Elm Grove Woman’s Club has grown and flourished. Our organization has provided funding and durable goods for local educational institutions, hospitals, charitable organizations, community-based activities, and the volunteer services of our village government.
Today the dream lives on. The clubhouse, with its distinctive exterior and elegant interior, sits contentedly on Watertown Plank Road. Our club has opened its membership to all communities and has evolved throughout its history to reflect the women of today. Its current membership of over 170 members exemplifies diverse talents, outlooks, and broad interests while holding true to the organization’s original values and mission. The spirit, energy, and generosity of those original 90 young women still prevail.
If we had to plan our wedding all over again, we would 100% choose the Elm Grove Woman’s Club in a heartbeat, without any hesitation. It was the perfect location for us and would highly recommend it to anyone!